Linux failure to compile GMAT gui.

Discussion of compilation configuration and issues

Linux failure to compile GMAT gui.

Postby michele » Thu May 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi to all,
I have a problem compiling GMAT. In particular I'm stuck on a problem in compiling the gui. I think this isuue is very similar to that of the previous topic ("Linux failure to compile wxString-related") but I'm not sure.
I'm on ubuntu 12.04. I installed the latest development release of wxWidgets (version 2.9.3), but it didn't solve the problem. GMAT base was compiled without error. This is the tail of the make error:

Code: Select all
michele@acer-miki:~/Scaricati/gmat/gmat-src-R2012a-Beta/src$ make -f MakeGmat.eclipse
cd gui; make -f MakeGui.eclipse all
make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/home/michele/Scaricati/gmat/gmat-src-R2012a-Beta/src/gui"
mkdir -p ../../application/bin
rm -f app/AboutDialog.o
g++ -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -ffriend-injection -D__USE_WX280__ -D__USE_WX280_GL__ -DwxUSE_GLCANVAS  -Wall `wx-config --cppflags`     -DUSE_64_BIT_LONGS    -fPIC  -I../base/include -I../base/asset -I../base/attitude -I../base/burn -I../base/command -I../base/configs -I../base/coordsystem -I../base/event -I../base/executive -I../base/factory -I../base/forcemodel -I../base/forcemodel/harmonic -I../base/foundation -I../base/function -I../base/hardware -I../base/interface -I../base/interpolator -I../base/interpreter -I../base/math -I../base/parameter -I../base/plugin -I../base/propagator -I../base/solarsys -I../base/solver -I../base/spacecraft -I../base/stopcond -I../base/subscriber -I../base/util -Iinclude -Iinclude/bitmaps -Iinclude/il -Iapp -Iasset -Iburn -Icommand -Icontrollogic -Icoordsystem -Iforcemodel -Ifoundation -Ifunction -Ihardware -Imission -Ioutput -Ipropagator -Irendering -Isolarsys -Isolver -Ispacecraft -Isubscriber -Iview -c -o app/AboutDialog.o app/AboutDialog.cpp
app/AboutDialog.cpp: In member function ‘void AboutDialog::OnHyperLinkClick(wxHyperlinkEvent&)’:
app/AboutDialog.cpp:232:56: error: invalid initialization of reference of type ‘const string& {aka const std::basic_string<char>&}’ from expression of type ‘wxCStrData’
../base/util/FileUtil.hpp:47:18: error: in passing argument 1 of ‘bool GmatFileUtil::DoesFileExist(const string&)’
include/gmatwxdefs.hpp: At global scope:
include/gmatwxdefs.hpp:70:15: warning: ‘GmatGLCanvasAttribs’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
make[1]: *** [app/AboutDialog.o] Errore 1
make[1]: uscita dalla directory "/home/michele/Scaricati/gmat/gmat-src-R2012a-Beta/src/gui"
make: *** [gui/gmat] Errore 2

Please, I really appreciate if somebody could update the wiki page on compiling GMAT on Linux and given that this release has not the built package for linux I think this is important. I'm a beginner in compiling software from source (I'm so used to apt-get install ;) ) and it's extremely difficult to get out of it with poor documentation.
Thanks in advance for the responses, and above all thanks a lot for GMAT.
Michele Mastropietro
Università di Pisa (Italy)
michele

Re: Linux failure to compile GMAT gui.

Postby DJCinSB » Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi, Michele.

The wxWidgets project reworked their string handling classes pretty extensively between the 2.8.x release and wxWidgets 2.9, which is still labeled as a "development release." GMAT has not yet transitioned from the 2.8 stable release to 2.9.x. My guess is that we won't actually move until wx says that they are at a "stable release" -- I think that will mean either 2.10 or (more likely, I think) 3.0. We currently build using wx 2.8.12. Because of the string class incompatibilities, the GMAT GUI won't build with 2.9.x. It also can't be built with Unicode versions of the wx libraries.

I have an update to the Linux build instructions on my list of tasks to complete in the next month or so, and I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 that I plan to use to write the up-to-date instructions. Please do continue to ask questions, etc about building on Linux, and to point out issues as they arise. That will help me to bump up the priority of writing the Linux build instructions, and will help me to see where things are unclear when writing them.

Thanks for the input.

- Darrel
DJCinSB

Postby michele » Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for the planned ubuntu-based instruction update and the consequent wiki update.
About my problem, very good: I'll try with wx 2.8.12.
I'll continue in reporting eventual problems I'll encounter with the build.

Michele
michele

Postby AishaBresnahan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Linux being a open source operating system we must add the third party software to it and than compile GMAT gui than it will work fine which we can find in professional dissertation writing blogs according to our use we should select the software and install into our computer. That will help us to compile GMAT gui in Linux operating system.
AishaBresnahan

Return to Compiling GMAT