Which atmospheric model to choose for Drag Sail Missions

Dynamics and environment models, spacecraft model, solver algorithms, etc.

Which atmospheric model to choose for Drag Sail Missions

Postby Sash » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:39 am

Hi,

I am new to GMAT and by the help of the tutorial i was able to create a simple LEO Orbit simulation of a sat orbiting the earth. Now what i did next
was simulating the orbitation of a satellite that has a DragSail (Teter) as i wanted to predict and animate the number of orbits until it would demise
naturally without retro-gate burns or so).

For that purpose i told GMAT to stop the simulation when the altitude becomes lower than 300 km (as an example, i didn't want to wait too long)
and the propagator stopped successfully, so my simulation stopping condition seems to work from a syntactic point of view.

Then i wanted to run the simulation with the stopp condition: < demise altitude (that i got from the DAS debris mitigation tool).

For the atmospheric model i tryed the MSISE-90. GMAT aborded prematurely and told me that there was a lag in precision.
After scanning carefully the (well written) manual i found that GMAT uses the original Fortran code of MSISE-90 and
because this code handles its variables in single precision, there could be some issues concerning the accuracy
at low altitudes. This explains well what i have experienced.

Now my questions:
1) How should i choose the right step size in order so to speak get rid of the issue?

3)Should i use MSISE-models if i want to propagate in future days (lets say october 2016) or are those models not suitable for this kind of propagation? ( I read that those models are
just based on data of real measurements?)
For example, try to input in the field "year" lets say 2020, and look what the model webpage of MSIS-90 says?
http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/modelweb/models/msis_vitmo.php

2) Which atmospheric model should i use in order to get a good realistic looking animated estimation of the Dragsail-cubesat demission if the mission start its
orbiting around the earth at lets say october 2016?

Puuuh, that's a lot of questions but it would be nice to get some advice :-)
Greetings from Luxembourg/Europe,
Sash
Sash

Re: Which atmospheric model to choose for Drag Sail Missions

Postby Sash » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:47 pm

5000 views and no reply :-(
Sash

Return to Mathematics and Modeling