Low-Thrust Trajectory Computation in GMAT

Dynamics and environment models, spacecraft model, solver algorithms, etc.

Low-Thrust Trajectory Computation in GMAT

Postby bbarbee » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 pm

I am interested in knowing whether GMAT is able to compute finite burn low-thrust trajectories. The trajectory may either be feasible (e.g. computed via differential correction) or optimal (e.g., uses optimal control theory and minimizes or maximizes a performance index).

In particular, I am wondering whether I can specify an initial spacecraft state, a time of flight, a final spacecraft state, and thruster parameters (e.g., Isp, max. thrust) and have GMAT then compute the time history of thrust direction and magnitude that will take the spacecraft from the initial to final state whilst respecting all other constraints -or- tell me that a feasible solution does not exist for the states and constraints I specified. I am primarily interested in interplanetary trajectories (heliocentric inertial frame, J2000 ecliptic coordinates). Also, the force model can be as simple as restricted two-body gravitation with the Sun as the central body.
bbarbee

Re: Low-Thrust Trajectory Computation in GMAT

Postby shughes » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:34 pm

We are currently testing low thrust modeling in GMAT. Once the testing is complete, you will be able to compute feasible low-thrust trajectories, or sub-optimal trajectories. By suboptimal, I mean you will be able to break up the trajectory into constant thrust arcs, and minimize a performance index such as mass expenditure.

Our long-term plan is to implement a direct transcription or pseudospectral method to solve this problem more rigorously. That's at least a year or two down the road though.

Steve
shughes

Postby bbarbee » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks, Steve.

When do you think testing might be complete? I'd like to try running some feasible or sub-optimal low-thrust trajectories in GMAT when it is ready.

Your long-term plans for the trajectory optimization sound quite good.
bbarbee

Postby shughes » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:08 pm

If all goes according to schedule, in about a month.
shughes

Postby bbarbee » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Ok. Thanks!
bbarbee

Postby cheetham » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Has this been implemented yet in any of the newer builds? If so would it be possible to post an example script of how to use this feature? If not is there a better estimated date of release?

Thanks!

-brad
cheetham

Postby shughes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:42 pm

We had to push this off until the end of september. Sorry for the delay.
shughes

Return to Mathematics and Modeling