Dynamic Attitude Propagation

Dynamics and environment models, spacecraft model, solver algorithms, etc.

Dynamic Attitude Propagation

Postby debdeeprc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 am

Hi,

I am new to GMAT, and I am currently working on the attitude propagation of a satellite. I couldn't find any in-built option in the latest GMAT release( R2016a) to enter the Mass Moment of Inertia properties of the spacecraft. However, the GMAT document (GMAT Mathematical Specifications Draft, 2016) mentions about Dynamic Attitude Propagation Mode which "propagates quaternion attitude equations of motion along with Euler’s moment equations. This allows the user to provide detailed mass moment of inertia properties, and to model spacecraft attitude control and environmental perturbing torques. The resulting numerically integrated attitude will exhibit basic dynamics properties such as precession and nutation. "

Right now, I am using a Kinematic Attitude Propagation mode (Spinner), which does not intergrate the attitude equations of motion, and uses other asssumptions.

Is Dynamic Attitude mode supposed to be included in future versions of GMAT, or am I just not able to find it in the current version of the software?

Thanks a lot!
debdeeprc

Re: Dynamic Attitude Propagation

Postby debdeeprc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:48 am

Got a response from Steven Hughes about my question. This is what he replied - "Hi Debdeep. GMAT does not currently support 6DOF. The math spec is a prototype for thinking ahead on that. To be honest, 6DOF is not in the foreseeable future"
debdeeprc

Return to Mathematics and Modeling