[Need Some Help] Simulation on mission to Alpha Centauri

Using GMAT for specific types of missions.

[Need Some Help] Simulation on mission to Alpha Centauri

Postby corous88 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:36 am

[Edited 9/25/2014]

Greetings!

I'm working on a rough simulation on a simple mission to Alpha Centauri and would like some help. Back of a napkin calculation says it should be possible with existing commercially available launch vehicles and thrusters. However, it's running very slow and the last results are way off, so I'm wondering if anyone can take a look at this and see if there is any glaring errors in either my approach to the problem or the script setup itself.

The mission is to send a 50kg payload into a direct ascent solar escape trajectory towards Alpha Centauri at 50 km/s, i.e. no gravity-assist trajectory around the Moon, Venus, Jupiter etc. and with an ion engine similar to NSTAR, to keep things simple. Since Alpha Centauri lies outside of the Earth's orbital plane, with a Celestial (X,Y,Z) coordinates in ly of -1.643, -1.374, -3.838, I'm solving for a final Vx, Vy and Vz of -18.691, -15.631, -43.663 (for a total of the final 50 km/s) in a coordinate system with the Sun as the central body. For the hardware setup, I'm using the Fregat kick stage available with the Soyuz rockets, which has a 7,800 kg to LEO capability. For the solver, I'm allowing the V, N and B elements of the Impulsive Burn to vary.

The Dropbox link to the script file is as follows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwd9fs2b86zbgls/ACxplorer.script?dl=0

Thanks in advance,

corous
corous88

Return to Flight Regimes and Mission Types