Display animation with constant time step?

General help that does not fall into a more specific category

Display animation with constant time step?

Postby NigeB » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello All,

I feel sure this question must have been asked before, but I can't find anything on the forum.

I'm using GMAT as a teaching tool, and when I simulate a simple closed orbit with some appreciable eccentricity (to illustrate e.g. Kepler's second law), the animation seems to proceed with a varying time scale, such that the satellite appears to move at an approximately constant angular rate - which confuses students somewhat.

By watching the rotation of the Earth in the animation, it seems clear that the timescale of the animation is reduced near periapsis compared to the situation at apoapsis - i.e. the Earth's rotation appears to be slower when the satellite is near periapsis.

I see this behaviour in the latest versions of both Mac and Windows versions.

Is there a way of changing this behaviour so that the animation plays at a constant rate, so that the varying angular rate of the satellite is obvious?

Thanks

Nigel
NigeB

Re: Display animation with constant time step?

Postby robertjack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am

Animation is just a series of imageries put composed to give the optical impression of motion. Assignment Gurus tend not to be careful animation even though technically all film is a series of pictures.
robertjack

Return to General